Today I am grateful for my mother... You know, the little old Filio lady I was talking about in my Dad's post.
Despite her honestly stereotypical Filipino mother personality... She is pretty amazing. She is always making herself available to help out with my little babes in-between Au Pairs. She cooks amazing food...most I cannot eat - thanks food allergies! And, she loves us all unconditionally - she has a super soft spot for her future son-in-law Zac... Actually, they have a great relationship - it's so beautiful to see.
One of the things I love the most about her is when I call her. I don't call her for my voice of reason - as advised before that is my Dad's area of expertise... There is a very good reason for that... You see my mother hates everyone... almost... so if I am after a vent and one-sided opinion where she is clearly on team 'Karen' she is my go to... I rarely take her advice, but I always listen to what she has to say. It's actually interesting to see things from the other side of the table - the bitter angry side.
I love how she swears... I remember calling her complaining about my ex-husband... as we ex-wives do from time to time... and, I am 100% confident we have all done this at some point in our life... ex-wife or ex-husband, ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend...whatever your circumstance is or what part of the story you play...come on now, you know you have. Anyway, back to her swearing... I was so livid, which my Dad strongly believed I had every right to be... But, I just wanted to be angry for 5 minutes. I didn't want to be understanding, I didn't want to care about my morals. I just wanted to scream at the top of my lungs and drop a fair few F-bombs... So, I called her, I complained and she swore... Now imagine the next sentence being said in a little old Asain lady's voice: 'Daling... Don't worry bout the phucking idiot! He phucking silly... phucking idiot' Despite what she said not being the nicest thing anyone could say... I honestly couldn't be angry anymore. I wet myself with laughter...
Despite the trouble, and it was a lot of trouble, I caused this lady growing up she still backs me (most of the time)...I never really showed her growing up - how much I actually appreciated her... Oh yes, I was one of those rebellious teenage girls. Never to my Dad, but always to my mum... I just couldn't be the Filippino she wanted me to be... Sorry, Ma! Poor lady... To this day, I call her once a week to apologise for all the horrible shit I did as a teenager - in hopes that karma doesn't bite me on the ass now that I have two girls. I am pretty sure she is cool with all the shit now, only because I have two girls and karma probably will bite me fair on the ass.
I am forever grateful, for such an amazing mother - cultural barriers and all. Although, I didn't see it when I was younger and I may not always see it as an adult - she truly is a strong, independent woman. Her choices in life, her culture and her strong beliefs around the importance of family have moulded me into the young woman I am today. With values and morals so heavily based around family, strength, drive and love.
0 comments:
Post a Comment